10.27.2008

10.27.08

Dear Friend,

I’ve thought about all that has happened just this year, and I can’t help but think I have a while until I live my glory days. I used to think high school would be the greatest time of my life. Football games and prom seemed like the most wonderful times. I realize now that there is so much more to be done: graduating from college, getting a job, traveling the world, and maybe someday settling down to have a family. How can a touchdown at a high school game or winning prom queen be it? I have already experienced so many wonderful times there is no way this can be my glory days. Things have definitely gotten more complicated, but the rewards are so much more fulfilling. Doing things for my self-knowing that my own hard work has paid off is so amazing I can’t wait to see what’s ahead. Maybe there is no such thing as “glory days”. Our whole life is something to be treasured and remembered. I think that high school or college stands out for most people because there aren’t as many responsibilities. We are young and free and there is nothing holding us back. As time goes on we loose that freedom, constrained by things like work and kids and time. I don’t want to look back on my life and feel like a few years were the best part. All of it should be great. I’m not sure if this is a realistic goal, but I guess in order for it to come true I have to work hard at enjoying every little detail.

Thanksgiving is coming soon and I can’t wait to see my family. I know in the last letter I complained a lot about my mom and my step-dad, but it was not always that bad. Back when it was just D, mom and I, the holidays were amazing. Mom would be at work for hours in the kitchen. She’d buzz around, freaking out about what needs to be done. The only way to get her to relax is to open a bottle of red wine. After a glass she starts to giggle and she tends to slow down. It’s always amazes me how no matter how much planning and organizing, we always forget to set the rolls out. We will all be stuffed with food and laughing about this or that when mom squeals, “Oh shit I forgot the rolls”! It is hilarious! She rushes to the fridge or the stove, which has probably been left on, to grab them but it’s always too late. We are too full or they are burned from being left in the oven for too long. She panics and wants to make another batch, but we force her to sit and have another glass of wine. Now that she and Bruce are separated I hope things will go back to the way they were. All I want is for the three of us to be together again.

Have I ever told you how beautiful my mom is? It would be impossible to describe, but I’ll try. She has amazing green eyes and the most gentle features. The laugh lines around her mouth are deep because she smiles all the time. I can’t tell you how much I love all her little wrinkles and freckles. They make me happy knowing that I have been there when most of them have been created. There are the freckles from all the times we spent Sunday at the lake. There is a wrinkle above her nose that she got from yelling at me to pick up my room every Friday night. She doesn’t try to hide her age and I love that about her. She is part of me and I can see that every time I look at her.

XOXO Avery

No comments: